Monday, May 24, 2010

Freelance Jobs: What is Emerging Cast?

I recently saw an ad for Emerging Cast, a site much like Demand Studios, so I decided to check it out. The site has a list of article to choose from, just like DS, but here's the kicker: They pay around $2 per article and you don't get paid until you've passed a $50 threshold if you want to be paid by PayPal. If you want to be paid by check there is a $500 threshold and a $30 administration fee. Yah, don't think I'll be doing any articles for Emerging Cast. If you try this freelance job let me know what you think.

21 comments:

  1. I saw this one too. Honestly, who works for 2 dollars a piece, its disgusting that anyone would base their business model on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to join before you find out that these people offer below subsistence wages. Unfortunately, there ARE many people in far-flung ports of the world willing to work for a pittance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guy! You saved me! I almost applied, but it looked suspicious, it was too easy. Thanks a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS IS A GREAT BLOG, THANKS TO YOU AND ALL THE PEOPLE WHO SUPPORTS THIS REPORT, I AM FROM ARGENTINA (A FAR-FLUNG PORT) AND THIS KIND OF JOB SOUNDS TEMPTING BUT TOO COOL TO BE TRUTH. I´LL CONTINUE DOING MY RESEARCH BUT NOW.. AROUND HERE, GREETINGS

    ReplyDelete
  5. if not for this forum, i wouldn't have any idea HOW they do business. they have a ridiculous site! they don't even offer information as to how they do business.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info! I too, thought it odd that they offered nothing about the company and was even more suspicious when I noticed that they just started up this year. Is anyone actually making money by doing this with other companies?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a chance to work as a writer but gentlemen, why don´t you pay more for each piece to motivate people to work with Emerging Cast?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks they are based in Argentina, and down there a lot of people will do it for 2 dollars and less. So we'll see thousands of crappy videos soon. Also, take care of any legal issues. Argentina? Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It also has managers in the United States so... and it isn't all it's cracked up to be. They are just in need as so many people up there...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sick and tired of all these Ehow wannabe sites.Why cant they be original? At least EHow had the best payment levels,both residual and upfront.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wouldn't ever write for them, the rates are way too low. However, I am doing the voice overs, and averaging about $15-$20 an hour to do them. I don't really mind the $50 PayPal payout, as the voice overs are actually fun to do, and add up quite quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I sent my first 5 recordings (I have a really good voice and modulation) and all of them were rejected! No explanation, no gratitude. So I think EmergingCast could be performing a really good business: they get free recordings and everything else when they reject every job, so they don't pay any money for it, and there are a multitude of innocent victims all around the world. So I'm dissapointed and warning everyone to not fall victim to EmergencyCast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad to hear your experience with Emerging Cast. It should be really helpful to other readers. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent article! Thank you guys. I was thinking to join them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous, I don't understand your problem with Argentina. The U.S. literacy rate is 99%. Argentina is 97.6%. Emerging Cast caters to an English and Spanish speaking audience. There is a higher percentage of native Argentines who speak English than native English speakers in the United States that know Spanish. Argentina also has a lower cost of living than the United States. Maybe this won't be a replacement to anyone's day job, but unemployed and underemployed Americans may find many jobs moving abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been translating for EmergencyCast since late November. I have $34.00 in my balance and lately my translations are getting reviewed again and again. It started when I reached $25. Translating 350 words for $1.00 is EXTREMELY cheap and I live in Peru. I would need to translate 70 articles just to cover my Internet bill. Anyway, nobody forced me to do this. Think twice before joining this site.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. It's nice hearing about everyone's experiences. This is one of my most read blog posts so I'm sure that you're helping a lot of writers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been working for them and I found their review process to be incredibly inconsistent. I had articles rejected on completely different grounds, and this after I followed instructions from my first review to the letter. Once my amount got over $25 I started receiving more revisions as well. I dont think I'll be carrying on with this opportunity for much longer. They are overly critical and considering they only pay $2 an article this is fast turning into a complete waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! I translated about 10 articles for emergingcast... About 400 or 500 words each... At the begining they accepted the translations (5), the rest were rejected because they "were not good"... You can find similar comments on other sites... It´s said they do it so you can not get the $50 and they never pay you, and I believe it.. It´s crazy to translate 500 words for 1 dolar and get rejected... Don´t you think...? Please don´t allow them to continue.. Don´t work for them or you will regret when you don´t get paid as many of us... They will keep your work and don´t pay anything...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi! Thanks for all your comments,they were really useful for me at the moment of makin' up my mind. I live in Argentina, and I'm trying to get into freelancing job, so I'm always searching for some part-time task, and found Emerging Cast on a jobs website. When I received the acceptance e-mail from Emerging Cast I doubted, not only about the low payment but also for the process to be able to get the money, so I started searching for more info, and I found this blog. Thanks again for the help given!

    ReplyDelete

Privacy Policy

Please Read Our Privacy Policy

About Me